"Wrecks & Sharks"
at Olympus Dive Center
July 25-28, 2024
The North Carolina Coast has numerous wrecks that have met their demise over the centuries from war, weather and intentional artificial reef development. Some of them are popular dive sites today with abundant marine life utilizing them for shelter, food and mating with the prolific sand tiger shark being the most popular resident. I have been working here on and off for 25 years and find the diving to be some of the finest in the world.
Due to their passive behavior the timid sand tiger is approachable and photogenic. With a
world class wreck as a backdrop it makes for exciting photography. If you are not a photographer you are more than welcome to participate as long as you love sharks.
Join me for a four day charter, "NC Wrecks & Sharks" and allow me to share this incredible diving with you. I will utilize all my knowledge and experience to put us on the best wrecks for amazing photo opportunities. Sand tigers predictably aggregate in large numbers on the wreck of the Caribsea in July. With good weather and conditions this will be one of our primary destinations. To see it is to believe it. Workshops, presentations, cookouts will be scheduled along with evening dining. Read details below and email [email protected] to enroll. Follow me on Facebook for additional news.
All the best,
Location: Olympus Dive Center, Morehead City, NC
Dates: Thu, July 25 - Sun, July 28, 2024
Dive Vessel: The M/V "Midnight Express" (I was captain for 6 years)
Minimum Certification: Advanced Open Water with minimum 25 dive ocean dives.
Conditions: 76-82F, Vis 25-100'+, Be prepared for choppy open ocean conditions with current.
Dive cancellations are common due to foul weather both individual and multi-day. Patience and persistence may be required. Bring a good attitude.
$1035.00 4nts @ Olympus Dive Lodge (shared room)
•4 days of diving; 2 recreational dives per day; no decompression diving.
•Profession guide and photo service by Mike Gerken
•90 Minute Photo Workshop
•Photo Presentation w/ Pizza, Beer, Soft Drinks included
•Lo-Country Boil on the dock
•Tanks, gas fills, Nitrox and O2
•Dive Accident Insurance - Strongly Recommended
•Trip Insurance - Strongly Recommended
•Crew Gratuities (typically $10-$20 pp/pd)
Air BnB - Many units in the area
Bask Hotel - Directly across the street from the dive shop
Hampton Inn - 10 minute drive from dive shop
Contact Mike for assistance.
CCR Divers are welcome
•CCR divers must bring proof of certification for their specific units. No exceptions.
•Request Olympus CCR requirement form from Mike
•Olympus Dive Center does not stock Helium or sorb. Contact Mike to arrange.
Email [email protected] to get your application. Fill it out and email it back. Invoice with payment instructions to follow shortly thereafter. No spot is reserved until deposit received.
• There is a $150.00 deposit required to secure your reservation. $75.00 of it is non-refundable regardless of when attendee cancels.
• Payments can be made via Square or PayPal with a 3% transaction fee incurred.
•Send funds via Venmo with no transaction fee if sent non-goods and services.
• Payment by check is welcomed with no transaction fees incurred.
• Payment by check not accepted within 2 weeks of event start date.
• If remitting payment electronically without an invoice from point of sale beware there is no buyer protection.
• In the event of a cancellation(s) due to bad weather or mechanical failure each diver will be refunded only the cost of the daily charter rate of Olympus Dive Center for each day canceled. Presently, this is $185.00 per full day.
• If the entire event is canceled prior to start date of July 13 i.e. public health concern or hurricane there will be 100% refund issued minus $50.00 admin fee.
• The workshops, presentations, cookout, admin fees, entry fees and professional services are all included in the cost of the package.
• In the event of abnormally high fuel prices in 2024 Olympus Dive Center reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge pp/pd of diving to the total cost of your package. The charge will be subject to the price of fuel at that time and can range from $0.00 to $30.00 per day. (It was $20.00 per day in 2022).
The fee will be collected by Olympus the morning of each charter upon check-in. Notifications will be sent out 2 weeks prior to event start date confirming the surcharge rate if any.
• Once this filled out application is received it will be reviewed and Mike will contact you with any questions before sending an itemized invoice with payment instructions.
• Reservation will not be final until deposit received. It is a first-come/first-serve basis.
• Full payment is due 60 days prior to event start date. Reservation will be forfeited if payment is not received on time or if event manager is not contacted with reason for delay.
•No refunds within 30 days of the trip start date unless you can provide a substitute. Strictly enforced.
Watch This & Get Excited About NC Shark Diving!
Filmed & Produced by Mike Gerken