July 13-16, 2023
I have been diving and photographing the wrecks of North Carolina since the late 90's and spent 6 seasons captaining a dive boat there. The combination of warmer clearer water with rich marine biodiversity keeps me coming back year after year. The most popular feature of the wrecks off the Carolina Coast is the endemic sand tiger sharks seen with regularity and in large numbers. Due to their passive behavior they are a photo "friendly" species of shark. Getting in front of them with a wreck as a back drop makes for compelling imagery.
Join me for 4 days of this epic Wreck & Shark diving with Olympus Dive Center to photograph these sharks and all the marine life that goes with them. I will utilize all my experience to put us on the best wrecks for top photo opps. Sand tigers predictably aggregate in large numbers on the wreck of the Caribsea in July (see photo below). With good weather and conditions this will be one of our primary destinations. To see it is to believe it. Workshops and presentations will be scheduled as well as cook outs and evening social events at the local restaurants. Read details below and email [email protected]. You can also find updates on Facebook.
All the best,
Location: Olympus Dive Center, Morehead City, NC
Dates: Thu, July 21 - Sun, July 24, 2022
Dive Vessel: The M/V "Midnight Express" (the boat I once captained)
Minimum Certification: Advanced Open Water with minimum 25 dive ocean dives.
Conditions: 76-82F, Vis 30-100'+, Be prepared for choppy open ocean conditions with some current.
$1060.00 w/4 nights @ Olympus Dive Lodge
•4 days of diving; 2 recreational dives per day; No Deco
•Profession guide and photo service by Mike Gerken
•90 Minute Photo Workshop
•Photo Presentation w/ Pizza, Beer, Soft Drinks included
•Lo-Country Boil on the dock after one of the days dives. (see schedule below)
•Tanks, gas fills, Nitrox and O2
•Dive Accident Insurance - Strongly Recommended
•Trip Insurance - Strongly Recommended
•Crew Gratuities (typically $10-$20 pp/pd)
Bask Hotel - Directly across the street from the dive shop
Hampton Inn - 10 minute drive from dive shop
Contact Mike for assistance.
CCR Divers are welcome
•CCR divers must bring proof of certification for their specific units. No exceptions.
•Request Olympus CCR requirement form from Mike
•Olympus Dive Center does not stock Helium or sorb. Contact Mike to arrange.
Email [email protected] to get your application. Fill it out and email it back. Invoice with payment instructions to follow shortly thereafter. No spot is reserved until deposit received.
Payment, Cancellation & Refund Policy - Please Read!
• There is a $150.00 deposit required to secure your reservation. $75.00 of it is non-refundable regardless of when attendee cancels.
• Payments can be made via Square or PayPal with a 3% transaction fee incurred.
• Payment by check is welcomed with no transaction fees incurred.
• Payment by check not accepted within 2 weeks of event start date.
• If remitting payment electronically without an invoice from point of sale beware there is no buyer protection.
• In the event of a cancellation(s) due to bad weather or mechanical failure each diver will be refunded only the cost of the daily charter rate of Olympus Dive Center for each day canceled. Presently, this is $155.00 per full day.
• If the entire event is canceled prior to start date of July 13 i.e. public health concern or hurricane there will be 100% refund issued minus $50.00 admin fee.
• The workshops, presentations, cookout, admin fees, entry fees and professional services are all included in the cost of the package.
• In the event of abnormally high fuel prices in 2023 Olympus Dive Center reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge pp/pd of diving to the total cost of your package. The charge will be subject to the price of fuel at that time and can range from $0.00 to $30.00 per day. (It was $20.00 per day in 2022).
The fee will be collected by Olympus the morning of each charter upon check-in. Notifications will be sent out 2 weeks prior to event start date confirming the surcharge rate if any.
• Once this filled out application is received it will be reviewed and Mike will contact you with any questions before sending an itemized invoice with payment instructions.
• Reservation will not be final until deposit received. It is a first-come/first-serve basis.
• Full payment is due 60 days prior to event start date. Reservation will be forfeited if payment is not received on time or if event manager is not contacted with reason for delay.
Watch This & Get Excited About NC Shark Diving!
Filmed & Produced by Mike Gerken